Moving the Chicago Aurora & Elgin RR bridge for the Congress Expressway in 1958


In this picture the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin Interurban Railroad bridge over the Des Plaines River is being moved north in September of 1958.  The move is necessary because the original location was in the path of the Congress Expressway.  Although the original plan was to reconnect the tracks, three months earlier the CA&E had abandon service.  Despite the lack of train service the bridge was moved and not destroyed but alas no passenger ever crossed the river on that bridge.  The cessation of service on June 12, 1958 by the CA&E occurred in the middle of the day leaving hundreds of angry homeward bound commuters stranded at the Forest Park Station of the CTA where the change between the two systems was made.  (Krambles/Peterson archives)